Quilla S. Harnam Singh
Distt: Fatehgarh Sahib, Panjab India (140406)
Phone No. 91-01763-233764
Sardar Simranjit Singh Mann
Personal and family profile:
Date of Birth: May 20, 1945 (Simla, Himachal Pradesh,)
Father's Name: Late Sardar Joginder Singh Mann
Mother’s Name: Late Sardarni Gurbachan Kaur
Married 1970, Geetinder Kaur
Children: Emaan Singh, Pavit Kaur, Nanki Kaur
Address:Quilla S. Harnam Singh, P.O. Box Tallania, District Fatehgarh Sahib, Panjab, (India) 140 406
1962 - Passed out of Bishop Cotton School, Simla, Himachal Pradesh, India
1965 - Passed out of Government College Chandigarh, Panjab, India
B.A. Honours and Gold Medalist in History
1966 - Appeared for Central Services Examination
Indian Police Services:
1967 - Joined Indian Police Service.
Allotted Panjab Cadre
1970-1972- Served as A.D.C. Governor of Panjab, Dr. D.C. Pavate and M.M. Chaudhry.
Other postings with I.P.S.:
· Assistant Superintendent of Police (A.S.P.) Ludhiana.
· Senior Superintendent of Police (SSP) Ferozepur.
· Senior Superintendent of Police (SSP) Faridkot.
· Additional Inspector General of Railways, Patiala.
· Deputy Director of Vigilance Bureau, Chandigarh.
· Commandant, Panjab Armed Police.
· Group Commandant, Central Industrial Security Force, Bombay.
***Resigned last posting on June 18, 1984 in protest of Indian government troops attack on the Sikh’s Golden Temple. Subsequently dismissed in July that very year from the Indian Police Services.
***June 1984 - Went underground after learning of official Panjab Police circular with shoot-to-kill orders of Mann. He was first arrested on November 29, 1984 with 4 others while attempting to cross into Nepal from the state of Bihar. He spent 5 years in the Bhagalpur prison in solitary confinement.
Political Career (in brief):
· 01 June 1987: Elected President of the newly-formed United Shiromani Akali Dal in absentia. Was incrasarated in Bhagalpore Jail, Bihar.
· November 1989: Elected by an overwhelming majority, while in Bhagalpur prison, asMember of Lok Sabha (Indian Lower House of Parliament) from the Tarn Taran constituency in the Panjab.
· After the 1991-break-up of the United Akali Dal, Simranjit Singh Mann continued as President of the Shiromani Akali Dal (Mann) faction. During his tenure as President of Shiromani Akali Dal (Mann), the party resolved to struggle for the right to self-determination for the Sikh people.
· In April 1994, acting out of deference to supplications for a unity of Sikh leaders by the Jathedar, Sri Akal Takht, in order to form a new united Shiromani Akali Dal party, Simranjit Singh Mann resigned his post and disbanded his party. He is the only signatory of the Amritsar Declaration, which provides for a confederation in South Asia, who still stands by the letter and spirit of the document.
· Presently, Simranjit Singh Mann heads the Shiromani Akali Dal (Amritsar).
· In 1996 he was elected Member of the SGPC.
· In October 1999, he was elected Member of Parliament from Sangrur constituency.
· Leader, Shiromani Akali Dal (Mann) Parliamentary Party, Lok Sabha.
· 1999-2000 : Member, Committee on Communications.
· 2000 onwards : Member, Consultative Committee, Ministry of External Affairs,
Govt. of India.
· 2002 onwards : Member, Standing Committee on Home Affairs, Govt. of India.
· 2004 Not re-elected to Indian parliament.
· Since then struggling for Sikh political rights and Human Rights. Imprisoned from June to August 2005 by Amarinder Singh and Manmohan Singh at the behest of Parkash Singh Badal and Jagir Kaur. Later imprisoned by Parkash Singh Badal at the behest of Rajinder kaur Bhattal and Shamsher Singh Dullo from 14.5.07 to 17.8.2007.